The Village Clerk works with the Mayor and Board of Trustees to oversee all administrative responsibilities of the Village of Red Hook and is responsible for maintaining custody of the Village seal, books, and all official reports. The Village Clerk is the Village of Red Hook’s Freedom of Information Officer/Records Management Officer and is custodian of all Village records, responsible for active files, storage and retrieval of inactive records, and the careful maintenance of archival material. The Clerk is also the receiver of taxes.
Acting as Treasurer, the Village Clerk is the Chief Fiscal Officer for the Village and is responsible for maintaining custody of all funds and accounts as well as the financial operations of the Village budgets. The Treasurer’s main responsibilities include establishing the Village’s financial accounting and reporting systems, overseeing water/sewer billing, payroll and accounts payable. The Treasurer is the custodian of all Village moneys, and must account to the Board of Trustees and New York State for all moneys received, expended and remaining on hand.
- Coordinating the Village’s response to public requests for access to records pursuant to the NY State Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)
- Attending and taking minutes of all Village Board meetings
- Publishing notices of Public Hearings, as well as filing all Local Laws with the New York State Department of State
- Maintaining records of all Village Ordinances, contracts, correspondence and agreements
- Overseeing annual Village Elections held in March, working in conjunction with the Dutchess County Board of Elections to administer and supervise all Special, Primary and General Elections
- As Registrar of Vital Statistics, issuing and maintaining records for births and deaths that occur in the Village of Red Hook
Vibrant Village Post
View the latest Vibrant Village Post.
The Village Clerk’s Office is an information hub, acting as the nucleus for Village government, providing support to both residents and the various Village departments. General questions relating to Village government should be directed to the Clerk’s Office.